‘Reduce. Reuse. Recycle’. This commitment to making sustainable waste disposal choices is a common warcry. In 2018, more than ever, the word “recycling” has taken on a new importance. With our planet relying on us to nurture and care for it, and to ensure the next generations have access to the resources we do, recycling should be a priority for all Sydneysiders. We are reminded from when we are kids to recycle our rubbish, to always put it in the bin, to be conscious of the environment. So it would be easy to think there’s nothing new to learn about recycling, right? Wrong!
At Pro Skips Australia we’ve dug up the 10 most amazing and interesting facts about recycling.
1. Why is recycling important? Well, recycling an aluminium can is able to save a great deal of energy. In fact, the energy saved from recycling just ONE can is enough to run your television for about three hours. That’s enough time to watch your favourite movie or a couple of games of footy. How incredible is that?
2. Over 60% of the trash that ends in your dustbin could be recycled in some form. While many people consider ‘recycling’ as the process of making new glass bottles out of old glass bottles, modern recycling is extremely complex. Old technology goes towards making new laptops, milk bottles can become playground equipment and plastic bottles can become t-shirts!
3. Back in 2008, a simpler time, Australia led the world as the no.1 recycler of newspapers. Ten years on, Pro Skips Australia wants to see us Aussies reclaim that title!
4. Australians recycle roughly 2 billion aluminium cans each year. That’s a lot of cans! So, if your partner ever asks why you’re on the couch enjoying a beer and not outside working on your yard, just let them know you’re doing your bit by contributing to our aluminium can total.
5. Recent studies have shown that 9 out of 10 people would recycle more if it were made easier. For many people, confusion comes from the different coloured council bins and knowing what is and isn’t allowed to go in each. If you’d like to make the environmentally conscious choice but you’re not sure how, contact our team of recycling professionals. Our skip bins are approved to handle any type of waste, with our experts sorting through and moving over 80% to recycling for you.
6. Glass is 100% recyclable and can be used again and again (which is good to know seeing as Aussies consume 1.36 million tonnes of glass packaging per year!).
7. It takes just 60 days for a steel can to be recycled and be ready to be put on a supermarket shelf. In that short amount of time you can literally go back and buy the exact same product at supermarket time after time!
8. Australia has an 87% recycling rate of paper and cardboard, one of the highest in the world. Each tonne of recycled paper saves 13 trees. So not only do you get cheap skip bins when you call Pro Skips Australia, but you make a fantastic environmental choice too. What’s interesting in facts about recycling is how far your little gestures go!
9. There are about 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in every square mile of our oceans. Something to keep in mind the next time you are at one of Sydney’s beautiful beaches!
10. Australia is one of the countries generating the highest waste amounts, with the average Aussie home producing 400 kg of waste each year!
It’s easy to get overwhelmed with recycling facts and figures, and feel powerless to help with your own waste disposal strategies. At Pro Skips Australia, we make it easy with our range of skip bins able to handle all your residential or commercial waste, with our experts separating the recyclable materials for you! If you’re ready to make the earth friendly choice and want to take advantage of Sydney’s leading skip bins, give us a call today!